Policies & Procedures
The governing document of the DVB Project is its Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
The DVB Steering Board has adopted Rules and Procedures covering, among other matters, membership, participation in DVB activities and elections. The Rules and Procedures are largely a compilation of practices DVB has developed since its inception.
Other key documents available from this page include DVB’s document disclosure policy, its antitrust gruidelines and its copyright policy.
- Memorandum of Understanding (revised 2014)
- Rules and Procedures (revised July 2020)
- Document Disclosure Policy (revised 2007)
- Antitrust Guidelines (2008)
- Copyright Policy (2012)
- Meeting Guidelines (2014, updated 2020)
- Application of US EAR to the DVB Project (2019)
DVB’s innovative policy on intellectual property rights is laid out in Article 14 of the MoU.
Its most significant features are the commitment of each member to grant licenses to essential patents unless it gives notice that its patents are unavailable, and DVB’s active encouragement to the formation of patent pools covering DVB standards. These measures protect the interests of those with IPRs to license, and those who are licensing the IPRs, in order to deploy DVB products and services in the market place.
- Summary of DVB IPR Policy
- Commentary on Article 14 of the DVB MoU (Carter Eltzroth, 2007)
- Liaison note on Patent Pool fostering (2018)
- Policy on normatively referenced materials (2011)
- Qualifying bodies under policy on normatively referenced materials
- Note on Voluntary Patent Disclosure
- Form for Voluntary Patent Disclosure
- Statement on licensing IPRs essential to a DVB specification
Questions on the IPR policy of the DVB Project can be addressed to the chair of the IPR Module, Georg Nolte, email@example.com, or to DVB’s Legal Director, Carter Eltzroth, firstname.lastname@example.org.