Ukraine update

Digital terrestrial television (DTT) services are ready for launch in the Ukraine according to the latest Digitag Web Letter. The Web Letter goes on to say that DTT services are already available in the capital Kiev and that a commercial launch is expected in 2007. Coverage is expected to be extended beyond Kiev in 2008-2009 with full population availability anticipated in 2011.
Four multiplexes are still planned, however it is likely that there will be a mix of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC coded programmes and some combining of DVB-T and DVB-H broadcasts on a single multiplex. HDTV broadcasting is also being considered.
Most of the DTT platform, approximately 70%, will offer free to air television services, but the remaining 30% will be used for Pay-TV services so as to generate revenue to expand the network.
Analogue switch of is given as either 2014 or 2015.
Source: Digitag Web Letter 56
Item added: 13th November 2006