DVB Scene 60: DVB-I in Germany and Italy, Native IP implementers, and more
You can now download the latest issue of DVB Scene, with articles on the kick-off of DVB-I trials in Germany and Italy, the business opportunities opened up by DVB Native IP, the addition of AVS3 to the DVB video coding toolbox, and the promise of object-based media. There’s also a look back at DVB World 2022 and a look forward to what the metaverse might mean for DVB.
Elsewhere in issue 60, DVB’s Chair Peter MacAvock outlines some of the changes that are under way following the recent Listening Project, whose findings can be divided into two main areas:
“[…] one focused on reaching out to the internet-only media companies, reliant on their own vertical solutions loosely based on industry standards, to bring them to our table. And the second focused on getting DVB’s own house in order.”
What does getting DVB’s “house in order” entail? Read more on page 5.
Finally, one of DVB’s first honorary fellows, Ulrich Reimers, writes about the latest addition to that illustrious group. His tribute to Alberto Morello, on page 19, also serves as a brief history of DVB’s highly successful standards for satellite broadcasting.
“Could anybody have doubts that Alberto Morello, and to some extent the whole Rai CRITS, more than deserves honorary fellowship of DVB?”
- Travelling again, but with purpose – Emily Dubs
- A word from the PCM Chair – Elfed Howells
- Reworking the workplan; three new study missions
- Getting DVB’s house in order – Peter MacAvock
- The German DVB-I Pilot: evaluating DVB-I on a national scale – Remo Vogel
- Developing a DVB-I strategy for broadcasters in Italy – Marco Pellegrinato
- A look back at DVB World 2022 – our first unconference – Eoghan O’Sullivan
- AVS3: new video codec underlines DVB’s truly global scope – Jianhua Zheng & Paul Higgs
- Opportunity knocks for DVB Native IP – Guillaume Bichot, Mohsen Haddad, Richard Smith, Christophe Trolet, Laurent Leveil, Xavier Battas, Tom Christophory and Rami Moussawi
- Unlocking the full potential of content through media objects – Matthew Brooks
- How important will the metaverse be for DVB? – David Wood
- Listening to stakeholders on the future of media delivery – Richard Ellis
- On DVB’s newest fellow: Alberto Morello – Ulrich Reimers