DVB-T2 (Second Generation Terrestrial)
Frame structure, channel coding and modulation for a second generation digital terrestrial television broadcasting system (DVB-T2)
The present document is a Technical Specification (TS) accompanying a European Norm (EN) of basically equivalent content. The newer version – be it the TS or the EN – takes precedence over earlier versions of related TSs and ENs. The evolution history of the present document is this:
- Versions 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 of the parallel document ETSI EN 302 755 [i.7] and [i.8] defined a single profile which incorporates time slicing but not Time-Frequency Slicing (TFS). Features which would allow a possible future implementation of TFS (for receivers with two tuners/front-ends) can be found in annex E. It is not intended that a receiver with a single tuner should support TFS.
- Version 1.3.1 of the parallel document ETSI EN 302 755 [i.9] added a T2-Lite profile. This profile is intended to allow simpler receiver implementations for very low capacity applications such as mobile broadcasting, although it may also be received by conventional stationary receivers. The details of this T2-Lite profile are described in annex I. Version 1.3.1 of the parallel document [i.9] also introduces a name, which is ‘T2-Base profile’, for the previous single profile.
- Version 1.4.1 of the parallel document ETSI EN 302 755 [i.10] made a number of changes, but all of these are clarifications of particular points, changes in non-normative recommendations, and corrections to the wording; no new technical features have been added and no changes have been made to existing features.
The present document was based on version 1.4.1 of ETSI EN 302 755 [i.10] and added an indication in the BBHEADER for the GSE-Lite profile of the GSE specification ETSI EN 102 606 [i.2]. It also included clarifications related to PAPR reduction and rationalized the use of symbols related to PAPR reduction throughout the document.
The present document describes a second generation baseline transmission system for digital terrestrial television broadcasting. It specifies the channel coding/modulation system intended for digital television services and generic data streams.
The scope is as follows:
- it gives a general description of the Baseline System for digital terrestrial TV;
- it specifies the digitally modulated signal in order to allow compatibility between pieces of equipment developed by different manufacturers. This is achieved by describing in detail the signal processing at the modulator side, while the processing at the receiver side is left open to different implementation solutions. However, it is necessary in this text to refer to certain aspects of reception.